The Road Less Traveled

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Men's Accessories: Thorogood American Heritage 8" Moc Toe Boots

Thorogood American Heritage 8" Moc Toe Boots

Top View

Front View

Detail

Side View

Thorogood American Heritage 8" Moc Toe Boot 

Just received these boots from Thorogood.  My first pair of actual boots.  I have a pair of oxford boots but I've never purchased working boots before.  I did my research on these, and it seems that this brand is not quite known because there aren't a lot of information on them besides their website http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/.  There are a few forums that talk about these boots but other than that nothing.  You can buy these on a few different websites such as Sears or Amazon.  I got mine from Sears because it was on sale plus extra $10 off orders over $50.  Orignal price was $170 but my total came out to about $120.

When you first open the box you can smell the leather right away.  It's a pleasant smell.. not too strong.  I tried the boots on immediately since there were a lot of reviews stating that the boots are 1 or 1/2 size larger so you would buy 1 or 1/2 size smaller than you usually would.  Only a few people said that they were true to size.  I took the chance of buying my true shoe size which is a size 9 men's.  To my surprise, the fit was actually really good.  There is maybe a 1/2" extra wiggle room but that's how I like my shoes to fit anyways and not have my toes jam up in the front.  The fit is even better when you wear your boot socks with them so as for as fit goes, my personal suggestion would be buy your true size.  The boots are also very comfortable. No break in time needed.  The leather is soft and flexible and plenty of cushion inside the boot for your heals.   The only thing that I would have liked more is if these boots came with the option of being water repellent.  Now other models from Thorogood do have the options of coming in steal toes as well as being water repellent, but the Moc Toe ones don't.  But not to worry because I'm going to go purchase a jar of Sno Seal and coat the boots myself since I'll be going up to Big Bear Lake this weekend with my girlfriend.  I already did my research on the Sno Seal water repellent wax and I'm stoked to coat my boots with them so that I can walk in the snow with these.

Alright so overall I think these boots are fantastic.  A lot of people compare them to Red Wing boots.. saying they are very comparable to them, for 1/3 of the price of Red Wings.  I never owned a pair of Red Wing boots but hey.. I'll take their word for it.  And for $120 compared to $200-$300 + for Red Wings.. I think I'll keep my wallet a little happier by choosing the Thorogood boots for now and see how they hold up.
Oh by the way, these Thorogood boots are made in the USA.  So for all you die hard Made in the USA fans.. there you go.  Buy a pair and support the US.  From what I heard Red Wing boots are no longer made in the US? and are now made in China?  And the price for those boots are still that high?  I don't know.. haha your call.  Anyways I'll be posting up photos from my trip to Big Bear Lake after I come back on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. When you are looking for a reliable boot to wear to work and off-the-clock, then Thorogood is something we can refer to as reliable. But can you take our word for it? Let’s go into the deep end of Thorogood boots review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! :)
    This is an awesome collection of new ideas!
    Eagerly waiting for more valuable articles.
    You would feel more happy to read similar one from here-
    https://topshoesbrand.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! Which color are these? Tobacco? or Trail Crazy Horse?

    ReplyDelete